Crowns and Bridges
Dental crowns and bridges are fixed prosthetic devices. Crowns and bridges are securely cemented onto an exiting tooth or implant and require less maintenance than removable dentures. Crowns are a “cap” like fake tooth used to cover or replace a damaged tooth. Crowns are also placed on top of an implant to cover the implant and complete smile.
Crowns may be used to:
- replace a substantially large filling
- protect a weak tooth
- attach a bridge
- cover an implant
- correct discoloured/ misshaped teeth
- cover a tooth that has had RCT (root canal treatment)
Bridges are used in order to replace one or more missing teeth. They are structured and designed to fill a larger space left by multiple missing teeth. Dental crowns and bridges are composed of zirconia material. Zirconia is the strongest known ceramic material used in dentistry.
With continuous checkups and professional cleans, crowns and bridges can last a lifetime! The most vital step you can take to protect your crown is good oral hygiene!
- keep your gums clean and healthy. It is advised to brush, floss and rinse twice a day.
- see your dentist regularly to monitor early progress
- avoid chewing hard or sticky food (ice, toffee, etc.) to prevent possible damage.
If you are in need of a dental crown/bridge, either for protection and/or cosmetic enhancement, give us a call on 02 9531 1312 for more information! Alternatively you may book a consultation appointment via our booking page online with one of our doctors.