Overcoming Dental Anxiety!
Anxiety and nerves can be a real problem when it comes to visiting the dentist for many patients. When this issue prevents and limits you from receiving the dental care you deserve, it is important for you to address it with the help of your dentist and new and improved successful solutions!
With an increase in technology within the medical field, dental practices have many ways and solutions to assist patients in overcoming fears when it comes to visiting the dentist. Whether it is just a simple dental check up or a major surgery. Regardless of the level of your nerves, there is always a way!
The following tips and tricks are to assist you in calming those nerves before and during your dental visit.
- Talk with your dentist prior to your appointment about your anxiety and have them explain thoroughly how the visit will play out and what to expect. Dentists are there to make your experience as comfortable as possible!
- Ask your dentist about anti-anxiety medication. Some dentists may be able to suggest some anti-anxiety medications that you are able to take prior to your visit to help relieve the stress during your appointment.
- Arrive early to your appointment! This allows you to familiarise yourself with the practice and improve your comfort.
- Take your headphones! This helps some patients with blocking out sounds and keep your stress levels to a minimum.
- Request a numbing agent! Our dentists offer local anaesthetic for all our patients if need be! Even for simple treatments such as a clean.
- Bring someone with you to your dental visit. It can help you feel at ease and provide comfort and support!
- Request happy gas! Nitrous oxide, also known as happy gas, is the most common known solution for nerves when it comes to visiting the dentist. It is a comfortable and easy process of simply breathing in an odourless and tasteless gas through a nasal inhaler gently placed over patients nose which can be adjusted easily by the patient if need be.
- Dental sedation is a step up solution from happy gas when it comes to nerves! Dental sedation is a safe and effective way to relax patients who are anxious and phobic of the dentist. When sedated the patient feels very relaxed, comfortable and sleepy. The sedation causes amnesia therefor the appointment will be over before they know it!
Our professionals at VIP Dental Clinic are all qualified to handle and assist patients with nerves and anxiety of all ages! All our staff including reception and dental assistants are here to make your experience as comfortable as can be.
To know more about your dental solutions for nerves or our staff and practice, do not hesitate to call us on 02 9531 1312 (Miranda) or 02 9460 8909 (St Leonards). Alternatively, book an online consultation appointment via our booking page, to simply discuss how you can go about dental treatment without the nerves!